Best Espresso Machines Under $1000
Our Top Choice
The Jura D6 is an AWESOME introduction into the world of Jura — a brand that is known for creating high-quality espresso machines. The D6 has the look and feel of an espresso machine costing more than four digits, but you can nab it for an affordable price.
Intelligent and intuitive features make this a top pick, along with — of course — DELICIOUS espresso and milk-based beverages.
Spending close to $1,000 for an espresso machine can seem like a ridiculous chunk of change.
Why not just get your java fix at a cafe on the way to work?
Spending a few or even $5 on an espresso or milk-based beverage may not seem like a dent in your bank account at the time of purchase — but that number adds up over time,
If you are a daily espresso drinker, investing in a machine could actually end up saving you money. According to a report, the average worker spends up to $1,100 on coffee each year. Even if you invest in a high quality machine, the money saved (and ability to have delicious espresso drinks whenever you want) definitely adds up.
The espresso machines I will review in this article are guaranteed to satisfy your coffee-loving needs year after year.
Breville Barista Express
Top Espresso Machines Under $1000 Review
Jura is a company KNOWN for their quality — along with bells and whistles — when it comes to espresso machines. The D6 is a more affordable option when it comes to buying a Jura. And although it costs less than $1000, you’ll definitely feel like a thousand bucks after using it.
One of my favorite things about the D6 is its intuitive and intelligent features.
A patented Intelligent Pre-Brew Aroma System (I.P.B.A.SⓇ). This system pre-brews the coffee in a way that delivers richer flavor and optimal crema. And you won’t need to worry about whether or not your espresso shots are going to be TOO strong or not strong enough. The D6 offers a variety of strength options to help you choose exactly the type of caffeine fix you’re looking for.
Other Things We Love
- The D6’s Fine Foam Frother allows you to easily top your cappuccinos and lattes with airy, gorgeous froth. I love that the frothing technology is SUPER CONSISTENT, and I never have to worry about my froth being anything less than exceptional.
- Comes with a MASSIVE 64-ounce water tank
- Boiler is made from sturdy stainless steel.
- The D6 also saves you money on energy bills with the Energy Save Mode (E.S.M.Ⓡ). The E.S.M. is programmed to automatically shut down the machine after a certain amount of inactivity.
- So if you forget to turn off the machine (who of us hasn’t been guilty of such things?) while heading to work, you don’t need to worry about unnecessary energy consumption.
- Drip tray only accommodates one cup size
Aptly titled, this machine will REALLY help you tap into your inner barista.
Along with the other models on this list, I would go as far as to say that the espresso this machine delivers is BETTER than many shots I’ve gotten from high-end coffee shops.
Like Jura, Breville takes extraction time seriously when it comes to a perfect shot. The Barista Express includes a purge function that automatically adjusts water temperature for optimal espresso extraction time. An integrated grinding system speeds up grinding time and also allows you to tweak your espresso to fit your specific taste.
Other Things We Love
- The water tank is removable and comes with a handle. This makes this oh SO easy when it comes to cleaning and refilling.
- Purge function that automatically adjusts water temperature for optimal espresso extraction time
- The stainless steel steam wand is easy to use for frothing AND to produce latte art.
- This machine saves energy by automatically going into a standby mode after one hour and turns off after three hours.
- Like your espresso SUPER early in the morning — or, dig a decaf java at night? Don’t expect this machine to respect the sleep schedules of anyone else in your home. It. Is. LOUD.
- Grinds tend to accumulate rapidly in the drip tray, which can be a pain.
Sturdy, shiny and gorgeous on the outside, the Silvia also comes with a bevy of features that make it beautiful inside and out.
One thing I really like about the Silvia is how it comes equipped with features to make sure your coffee stays hot, hot, HOT!
A cup warming tray holds SIX cups and will make sure that your coffee stays warm and tasty. The brass components of the machine also retain heat very nicely.
Other Things We Love
- A generous 67-ounce water tank is easily removable for easy refilling.
- The pressure release system includes a three-way solenoid valves that reduces cleanup time.
- Lacks the programming capabilities that are available in the other aforementioned models
- Not as intuitive or easy to use as the other two models on this list
- Does not come with a warranty
Best Overall Pick
Although I love ALL the models listed, when you put a Jura in the ring, there’s almost always no contest.
Along with the aforementioned attributes, the D6 has a smart water system that keeps your water pure and your coffees/espressos tasting GREAT.
Each machine comes equipped with CLEARYL Blue filters. These filters reduce the need for descaling and keep water pure of substances. This purifying technology also increases the lifespan of the machine.
The Jura simply has more to offer when comparing it to other machines on this list — and it performs FLAWLESSLY.